MUMBAI: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) Station, is one of the biggest and most famous stations of Mumbai, known for its magnificent British architecture of the late 19th century. Now more feather has been added to its cap. This railway station has been awarded as the first Green Station in Maharashtra.
This certificate of Green Station has been given by the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) of Indian Industry Association. Along with Green Station, CSMT station is also the first station to be awarded Gold Award.
Station has received awards for many features like making green areas, installation of solar panels, LED bulbs, etc.
Shivaji Sutar, the spokesperson of the Central Railway, expressed happiness on receiving the first Green Station Award. He said this award goes to all the employees of Central Railway, who worked day and night to make this station green and eco-friendly. He also added that the credit goes to the people as well.
HIGHLIGHTING FEATURES AT CSMT STATION:
1. The station has been made commuter friendly for differently-abled and senior citizens.
2. Electric charging points have been installed in some parking spaces to encourage electric 2 and 4 wheelers in the parking lot.
3. More than 15 per cent of the station site is covered with trees and small parks, landscape areas, lawns, etc. These green areas are maintained with organic manure.
4. 245 kWp solar panels are installed at Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus station site. Hundred per cent of the station lamps have been converted to LED.
5. Energy-efficient BLDC and HVLS wings are installed, 17 sensors in various offices and waiting rooms are also installed at various locations.
6. Extensive mechanised cleaning contract platform, concourse, circulating area, parking lot, track, rooftop, shutter, waiting hall, etc. are focused on. The chemicals used by the contractors are bio-degradable and eco-friendly.
7. Smart passenger facilities such as WiFi, automatic ticket vending machines, tourism information and booking centers, food courts, pharmacy, and medical facilities etc. are available.
8. Remedy for the plastic ban. The station has signage stating “Avoid using plastic bags”, and has digital display boards to create awareness about the adverse environmental effects of plastic bags.