Pune : deccan express – In an indication of a rapid uptick in Covid-19 cases, over 10,000 cases were reported on Friday in Pune district after eight months for the first time. Two persons succumbed to the infection taking the toll to 6,341 till date. (Pune Corona)
The Pune ZP health department said over half of these cases (5,480) were recorded within the PMC limits while Pimpri Chinchwad reported 2,562 infections.
The last time that the district recorded over 10,000 Covid-19 patients was on May 8, 2021 as the second wave peaked. The district had over 10,000 infections for around a month. Many times, Pune topped the list of cities in India, which had the highest cases then.
Of the confirmed 238 Omicron cases on Friday in the State, Pune had 232. Maharashtra has so far reported 1,605 Omicron confirmed detections, which is the highest number in India. Of these, 677 have been detected in Pune.
Mumbai recorded 629 Omicron infections. Now, Pune has over 50,000 Covid-19 cases, which is the highest count after May 23, 2021. However, around 28,000 are active cases among them.
Fresh cases are rapidly rising in Pune. However, there is a considerable drop in Mumbai, where around 11,000 new cases were detected. At the state-level, the number stabilised around 43,000 on Friday, which a significant decline from 46,406 on Thursday.
- Central Railway leads in Conservation of Environment- Bags the prestigious Environment and Cleanliness Shield
- Police Inspector Transfer | 11 PIs, 2 APIs, 9 PSIs transferred in Pimpri Chinchwad
- Action under MCOCA likely against BJP MLA Girish Mahajan, 50 Pune police personnel reach Jalgaon
- Pune police intensify action against citizens not wearing masks, over Rs 26 crore recovered in fine till date
- PMC | Regularisation of gunthewari constructions begins on January 10 in Pune
- Satara | Mild tremors felt in Koyna Dam area