Pune : deccan express – Pune Police | A police chowki under the Lonikand police station has been set up at Perne. Sensitive spots such as the Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj memorial at Vadhu Budruk and the Jaystambh at Perne Phata are under the jurisdiction of the chowki, which was inaugurated by Commissioner of Police Amitabh Gupta. Around eight surrounding villages fall within its limits, stated a press release issued by the Pune police on Friday.
Lakhs of members of the Dalit community gather at the Jaystambh every year to celebrate the British victory against the Peshwas in a battle at Koregaon Bhima on January 1, 1818. A platoon comprising soldiers from the Dalit (Mahar) community was reported to have played a key role in the British Army’s victory over the Peshwas.
At Vadhu Budruk, besides the Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj Memorial, there is purportedly a tomb of Govind Gopal Dhegoji Meghoji, a Dalit leader from the 17th century, who had reportedly conducted last rites of the Maratha warrior after his lynching by the Mughals.
There are differences between the local Dalits and Marathas over who performed his last rites. Riots had broken out due to these differences between these communities on January 1, 2018 in the area.
- Karuna Munde to meet Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari
- Wardha Car Accident | BJP MLA’s son, 6 other medical students die as their car plunges into river in Wardha district
- Pune News | Puneite Jui Keskar gets Prime Minister National Child Award 2022; Shivangi Kale, Jiya Rai, Swayam Patil are other winners from Maharashtra
- Koregaon police arrest Bharat Gandhi, Dilip Oswal arrested for unnatural sex with a 42-year-old woman
- Parents should send children to school without worrying: Rajesh Tope
- Central Railway leads in Conservation of Environment- Bags the prestigious Environment and Cleanliness Shield