Pune : deccan express – The Pune police are taking penal action against the citizens who are not wearing masks in public places. This is being done to stop the spread of Covid-19.
Around 5.39 lakh people have been penalised for not wearing a mask till date. Rs 26.38 crore have been recovered from them in fine. The action started against people not wearing a mask in March 2020 when the first wave of Covid-19 started. Rs 500 was recovered from each erring citizen. The PMC also started fining those who did not wear masks since June 2020.
Covid-19 cases started dropping after July 2021. Many citizens also stopped using masks. Action against erring people also slowed down. The trend of not wearing a mask in public places started again. However, the police intensified action again from January 4.
While wearing a mask, a regular mask can be worn on a surgical mask or wearing N95 mask is recommended. The mouth and the nose should be fully covered by a mask, said Dr Avinash Bhondwe, former president, Indian Medical Association, Maharashtra State.
Action against those not wearing masks has been intensified from January 4 in the backdrop of the third wave of pandemic. Over 1,500 errant citizens have been fined within two days. Citizens should wear masks to avoid penal action, said Joint CP Dr Ravindra Shisve.
- Maharashtra | No lockdown in state, but more restrictions to curb Covid cases
- Hinjawadi police | Case filed against man for cheating Tathawade-based company of Rs 4.67 lakh
- Road-Safety Violation: 85,000 two-wheeler riders fined by Pimpri Chinchwad Traffic Police for driving without a helmet
- Maharashtra | I always respond to criticism through my work, says CM Uddhav Thackeray
- Pune Crime | Pune Police Anti Extortion Cell arrests one for sandalwood smuggling, sandalwood logs weighing 102 Kg seized
- Pandharpur Crime | Youth dies by suicide after harassment by private moneylender in Pandharpur