Mumbai : Deccan Express – Many decades ago, when there were no cots or beds, people used to sleep on the ground. THEY believed that sleeping on the ground keeps the body strong and gets rid of many physical problems. Are there really benefits of sleeping on the ground, do scientific studies also confirm this? It is obvious that many such questions arise in the mind. You will find the answer to all these things in this article.
Benefits of sleeping on the ground
There is not much research available on the benefits of sleeping on the ground. In this article, we are telling the benefits of sleeping on the ground on the basis of hard mattress and shavasana. Actually, firm mattresses are also hard like the floor and Shavasana is done by lying on the floor. For this reason, the benefits of both of these can also be obtained from sleeping on the ground. Let us know the benefits of sleeping on the ground on these.
1. Reduces back pain
If there is mild back pain, then there can be benefits of sleeping on the ground. This is also confirmed in a research published by NIH (National Library of Medicine). According to the website, it is good to sleep on a firm surface to reduce back pain and keep it healthy (1). Firm surface can also include land.
According to a research paper, sleeping on a firm mattress can reduce back and back pain. During another research, the mattresses of some women and men suffering from neck and back pain were replaced with medium hard mattresses. As a result, their back pain problems decreased and sleep quality also increased (3). On this basis it would not be wrong to say that even mild back pain can be reduced by sleeping on the floor.
2. Relief from the problem of overheating
According to research, the problem of overheating at night is due to the bedding used while sleeping. Due to this, it is common for frequent sleep breaks and lack of sleep (4). To avoid this problem, sleeping on the ground is considered beneficial. According to a study, a floor made of concrete has a cooling effect (5). On this basis, it can be said that sleeping on a concrete floor will not cause overheating and the person will be able to sleep peacefully.
3. Treating Insomnia
Home remedies for insomnia also include sleeping on the ground. According to a research, Rapid Eye Movement Sleep Behavior Disorder (RBD) i.e. moving hands and feet in sleep is also a cause of insomnia. During this, people also fall from the bed while sleeping. Research has said that sleeping on the ground can relieve the problem of injury and insomnia caused by RBD (6).
Apart from this, one of the reasons for the problem of sleeplessness is also the overheating that occurs while sleeping. We have already mentioned above that sleeping on the floor can reduce overheating to some extent and improve the quality of sleep. According to the research paper, due to overheating during sleep, sleep is repeatedly broken. At the same time, when the bed below does not feel hot, then sleep comes well (4).
4. Improves Posture
Getting up, sitting and sleeping in the wrong posture can lead to a variety of problems, such as back pain and spinal problems. These problems can be avoided by sleeping in the right posture (7). It has been told in research that if firm matrices are used while sleeping, then it can help in keeping the body posture right. It does not allow the spine to bend much and its flat surface gives a correct posture to the body (8).
At the same time, it can also reduce back pain, so about 76 percent of orthopedic surgeons i.e. bone specialists also recommend sleeping on a firm mattress (8). On this basis, it can be said that sleeping on a firm mattress or ground can prove to be beneficial not only in lifestyle but also in improving the posture of the body.
5. Stress Relief
Along with physical health, sleeping on the ground can be beneficial for mental health. With this, the problem of stress can be controlled to some extent. Actually, shavasana done lying on the ground can improve mood (9).
This is called formal psychotherapy to improve mental state. It can help in overcoming restlessness by reducing stress (9). On this basis, it can be said that lying down for some time in the posture of the ground Savasana can reduce stress.
6. For the spine
Sleeping on a firm mattress can be beneficial for the spine. Actually, according to the research done on this subject, people who had spinal problems were advised to sleep on firm matrices. As a result, in addition to strengthening and flexible bones in those women and men, benefits were also seen in the spine (8). On this basis, it can be said that sleeping on firm matrices or flat places such as the ground can be beneficial for the spine.
7. To improve blood circulation
The benefits of lying down on the ground can be seen to increase blood circulation. During research, shavasana was done to treat high blood pressure. Research has found that doing shavasana can reduce the need for drugs related to blood pressure and in some cases eliminate it completely (10). On this basis, it can be said that lying on the ground improves the problem of blood pressure and can also improve blood circulation.
Before sleeping on the ground, it is important to keep some things in mind. Here we are telling you the important things and how to sleep on the ground.
– Before sleeping on the ground, clean the ground thoroughly.
– Make sure that there are no insects or garbage on the ground.
– Now spread some sheets and blankets on the ground as per your convenience.
– Then lie down straight on the ground. If you want, you can also take a turn on the left or right side.
– Just note that if you feel any kind of trouble while sleeping on the ground, do not sleep there.
– Also, instead of sleeping on the ground for a long time, sleep only for a nap.
– If you have severe back pain or have had back surgery, avoid sleeping on the ground.
Side effects of sleeping on the ground
On the one hand there are benefits of sleeping on the ground, on the other hand, due to the carelessness taken while sleeping on the ground, side effects can also be seen. Here we are talking about them.
– Lying on the ground in cold weather can lead to a cold.
– If it is not cleaned properly, then there is also the fear of insect bites while sleeping on the ground.
– If the ground is wet or damp, there is a risk of getting sick.
– If the ground is not cleaned properly, garbage, dust and dirt can enter the eyes and mouth.
– There can also be a possibility of infection if not cleaned properly.
– If you sleep on the ground for a long time, then there may be a possibility of back pain (11).
- Sonu Sood | Sonu Sood on Income Tax Department’s radar; Raids 6 places including Mumbai, Delhi offices
- Vitamin F | Don’t ignore Vitamin F if you want healthy and glowing skin
- Shiv Bhojan thali | Shiv Bhojan thali will continue to be available for free, Govt. will not make any changes
- Pune Crime | Tehsildar of Haveli forcibly bribed, Accused transferred money using Google Pay
- Pune Crime | Marathe Jewelers Fraud Case : Kaustubh Marathe arrested along with Manjiri Marathe
- Maharashtra Rain Update | Yellow alert for Pune, Rainfall forecast for next 2 days in Maharashtra
- Terrorist Attack | Major terrorist attack on Maharashtra averted, 6 terrorists arrested, two trained in Pakistan